Physical Education at Priestley
Raising Aspiration, Realising Ambition, Stimulating Curiosity.
Priestley Primary School believes that Physical Education (PE), experienced in a safe and supportive environment, is essential to ensure children attain optimum physical and emotional development and good health. We intend to deliver high-quality teaching and learning opportunities that inspire all children to succeed in physical education and in developing life skills. We want to teach children skills to keep them safe, such as being able to swim. We also want to teach children how to cooperate and collaborate with others as part of an effective team by sharing great ideas, understanding fairness and equity of play to embed life-long values, including respect for all opinions and abilities. Our curriculum aims to improve the wellbeing and fitness of all children at Priestley Primary School, not only through the sporting skills taught through the underpinning values and disciplines PE promotes.
Placing learning at the heart of everything we do.
PE at Priestley Primary School provides challenging and enjoyable learning through a range of sporting activities including invasion games, net & passing games, strike and field games, gymnastics, dance, swimming and outdoor & adventure.
• The long-term plan sets out the PE units which are to be taught throughout the year and ensures that the requirements of the National Curriculum are fully met.
• Pupils participate in two high quality PE lessons each week, covering two sporting disciplines every half term. In addition, children are encouraged to participate in the varied range of extra-curricular activities. After school sport clubs are available on several evenings.
• Children are invited to attend competitive sporting events within the local area. This is an inclusive approach which endeavours to encourage not only physical development but also mental well-being. These events also develop cooperation, teamwork and leadership skills and are very much enjoyed by the children.
• Each year, a small group of Year 6 children are invited to become House Captains for the school (taking responsibility). They develop into sporting role models for the younger children, assisting with sponsored events, our annual Sports day and any other Sporting activities.
• Children participate in workshops covering a variety of sports throughout the year. For example, Chance 2 Shine, Calne Rugby, Calne Tennis and Up and Under sports, again providing the children with an opportunity to develop, improve their fitness and to try something new.
• Children in Key Stage 2 will be provided the opportunity to swim throughout the Key Stage.
Priestley and Proud
We help motivate children to participate in a variety of sports through quality teaching that is engaging and fun. From our lessons, our children learn to take responsibility for their own health and fitness, many of whom also enjoy the success of competitive sports. We equip our children with the necessary skills and a love for sport. They will hopefully grow up to live happy and healthy lives utilising the skills and knowledge acquired through PE.